58% of grocery or supermarket customers have responded to an ad/coupon in the mailbox in the past 12 months. Our integrated Boost solutions work synergistically to lift response rates by up to 118% and conversion rates by up to 28%.
We work with leading grocery and supermarket retailers across the U.S.
Top Grocery and Supermarket Trends to Consider as You Build Your Marketing Strategy
When the pandemic began, average weekly grocery spend increased by $25 to $184. While they spent more, 73% of consumers made fewer trips to physical grocery stores. 48% of consumers continued comparison shopping to find the best deals. 30% of grocery shoppers were more likely to use a pre-written grocery list than before. Here are some additional trends to inform your advertising strategy.
In its June 2021 consumer survey, Prosper Insights & Analytics reported that of U.S. adults 18+ surveyed:
- 80% shopped in a physical store for groceries in the past 30 days – up 4% compared to 1 year ago
- 27% shopped online (either desktop or mobile) compared to 30% 1 year ago – down 3%
- 27% use buy online and pick up in store (BOPIS) either regularly or occasionally compared to 25% in June 2020
- 23% use home delivery services regularly or occasionally in June 2021 compared to 20% in June 2020
Also interesting to note: 82% of shoppers will change the stores they shop at to take advantage of weekly specials.
Sources: C+R Research (Surveyed 2,012 people), Supermarket News, FMI U.S. Grocery Shopper Trends 2019, 2K19 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report, Prosper Insights & Analytics, Valassis Consumer Intel Report
Influence Grocery Customers with a Multichannel Marketing Approach
Anchor your marketing strategy with direct mail while boosting its reach and effectiveness with complementary addressable geofencing digital ads. Promote awareness of your grocery store and highlight your services and products while targeting your best potential customers.
- Print drives 11% purchase intent compared to only 4% with digital alone. That’s a 175% INCREASE when anchoring your digital campaign with print!
- Direct mail and digital advertising work synergistically to boost response rates by 118% and conversion rates by 28% versus print alone.
- 58% of grocery/supermarket customers have responded to an ad/coupon in the mailbox in the past 12 months; 42% have responded to an internet banner ad.
- 75% of shoppers rely on advertising circulars to compare prices and 60% of shoppers prefer to receive their circulars in print format.
- Mspark’s shared mail programs drive traffic by boosting circular reach. We offer strategies to increase distribution by strategically targeting your best customers to increase store traffic and increase ROI.
Sources:FMI U.S. Grocery Shopper Trends 2019; 2K19 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report, Prosper Insights & Analytics, AdMall AudienceSCAN 2019, Millward Brown Print Campaign Analysis; Simplifit
We offer grocery marketing solutions to fit any need and budget.
Preprinted Insert Boost Distribution
Do you already have a direct mail piece designed and printed? We can add your preprinted insert to our shared direct mail package, which will save you money when compared to other direct mail options. Targetable from the full market all the way down to the carrier route, this distribution option allows you to reach your ideal customer with your printed insert along with complementary addressable geofencing digital ads to your target audience. These digital ads warm up the mailbox and set the stage for the arrival of your printed piece, increasing reach and frequency of your campaign.
Targeted Insert Boost Solution
Available in 9 sizes to meet your needs and budget, our Targeted Insert Boost Solution allows you to target the consumers most likely to do business with you all the way down to the carrier route level. The Targeted Insert Boost Solution includes a two-sided, full color piece that features only your business along with digital display ads. We have sizes ranging from standard inserts all the way up to mega inserts to meet any need. Your target audience will also receive complementary addressable geofencing digital ads, which warm up the mailbox and increase the reach and frequency of your campaign.
The Wrap Boost Solution
The Wrap Boost Solution is a high-visibility saturation product that allows you to cost-effectively promote your business to an entire market. The Wrap Boost Solution contains all of the other inserts we send (except the Impact Postcard), so it’s the first part of our direct mail package that a person sees in their mailbox. This places your business front and center and showcases your products and services. The reach and frequency of your campaign increase even more with the addition of complementary digital ads targeted to the same audience to set the stage for the arrival of your printed piece.
Quick Response Boost Mover Program
Target movers as they make purchasing decisions for their new home with Quick Response. More than 70 brand decisions are made during a move, with consumers spending an average of $9,000. Additionally, movers are 5x more likely to become long-term customers. The Mspark Quick Response Boost Mover Program is a trigger-based solo postcard and complementary addressable geofencing digital ads that give our clients the flexibility to target pre- and new movers and reach them within 2-3 days when they are quickly making purchase decisions.